"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

Monday, June 21, 2010

Liam's Chair

Typically when I go to a second hand store I already have a picture of exactly what I am looking for. This doesn't just happen when I go to second hand stores, it also happens when I go clothes shopping or any other form of shopping. I'm not one to sift through stuff hoping to be inspired, because if I don't need it, chances are I don't want it, and I am really not a fan of clutter. Needless to say, I don't often find exactly what I am looking for, but maybe something similar that I can adapt.

Well, on two occasions now I have had the pleasure of walking into a thrift store and finding exactly what I was looking for. Here is one of them:



Besides the obvious flaws (its pink, and the wood is a light birch) it was near perfect! I was looking for this style of child's chair, with something that I could reupholster without too much difficulty. Liam seems to really like sitting in it too. And climbing on it. And using it to get to things he shouldn't be getting to.


With a little white spray paint and some new fabric I think it looks pretty cute! I have yet to recover the foot stool. I was using my left over fabric from Liam's quilt, and didn't quite have enough to do the stool. That will come later. The re-upholstering was a little more challenging that I initially thought, I salvaged the zippers for the back from the old fabric, and learned the easy way of sewing in zippers! But overall it was only about an hours worth of work for something that I am pretty happy with.

2 comments:

  1. Marg...you are amazing! I'm in awe of all the fab stuff you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Rachel's comment.....looking for inspiration over here. Send me info if you find a fabulous nursery :) I am trying to find something for babe 3 here.

    ReplyDelete