"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

Monday, May 31, 2010

Book Display

Liam's number one favorite thing to do would probably be the slide at the park, but on rainy days when we can't go outside, his second favorite thing would be reading books. We could sit for hours and read books, he goes and gets one off the bookshelf, brings it to me and we read it.


This usually ends up with a big pile of books on the floor as he sifts through them, picks one, and then dumps the rest. I figured if I made a book display this would help him see the fronts of the books, and only take out the one he is looking for. I found the plans for this on an amazing site my sister Rachel told me about, here.


It was pretty easy to make, and a purchased one from Pottery Barn would have cost me $119 American, while this one only cost me $16.99 for the materials. The plans were very detailed, even including a cut list, and Home Depot did the majority of my cuts for me for free! I do have to give Jake some credit here, as he taught me what a counter sink was, so that I didn't split the wood when drilling into it. And so far Liam really likes it, he loves taking the books off and putting them back on again.

4 comments:

  1. If we have a boy I hope he`s as calm as your little guy! So glad we got to see him yesterday......we need to do that more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your book display turned out awsome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops, it didnt have to be anonymous :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting that Pottery Barn bookshelf for ages! I'm very impressed that you made one yourself. I might have to do the same.

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete