"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

Friday, June 17, 2011

Gardening!

The past few summers I have been interested in planting a vegetable garden, but never really had enough space to do one, until now! I did a fair amount of research on the style of gardening I wanted to do, and let me tell you, there are many inspiring books out there! I did have to scale down my dreams a lot, maybe one day we will be able to grow enough to preserve food for the winter, but not right now. I can't even seem to keep my indoor plants alive, so I figured I would try it out small scale.

Square Foot gardening was the most inspiring of all the methods I read about, so that's what we chose to do. Mel Bartholomew's All New Square Foot Gardening is where I got the majority of my info from. Jake built the box for me, and Liam and I hauled countless wheelbarrows full of dirt back there one Saturday. Here is the beauty:




The only thing Mel didn't write a chapter on was gardening with a two year old, so my carrots and lettuce won't be in nice rows like he suggested, I can live with that though.



I'm so excited to see things starting to grow! The strawberry plants I cheated on and didn't buy from seed, which is why they are so big already. If this all goes well we plan to add another box next summer to get double the produce! So excited.

1 comment:

  1. So exciting.....it will feel so good eating all those yummy things!

    ReplyDelete